Tuesday, October 31, 2006

 

I’m Back!

Read More


Here I am again after five busy days doing a Tree Talk Seminar near Munich in Southern Germany. I expected it to be cold, but the weather was superb.

I’ve had a marvellous time meeting interesting people, eating everyday German food, drinking real coffee, and whizzing along various Autobahns, spotting wild Deer from the car window.

Mind you, I had some problems passing through the Airport Security System.

I had a very effective herbal, throat-spray, that I used to lubricate my dry throat when I have to talk continuously for seven or eight hours. I usually keep it with my Visual Display Folder and the maps and things in my lecture kit.

However, it was found and confiscated because the government in it’s infinite wisdom, were paranoid enough to think that I might use it in a ‘hijack’ attempt. How? I've no idea.

The authorities have also introduced yet another indignity for us older passengers….
Now as soon as you’ve got through the x-ray charade, of holding your trousers up whilst they screen your belt, and then having to replace most of your clothes….
They then, just as you think you've finished, expect you to pass your shoes through yet another x-ray machine.

Now that’s not too difficult for most people; but we older folks find it very difficult to change footwear, standing up.

I’m not sure why it is, but as you get older, your feet seem to grow away from you. So you can imagine the scene, half a dozen of us, senior citizens, squatting on the floor blocking the gangway as we struggle to replace our shoes without either the help of chairs and shoehorns.

By the time I’d got mine back on; I was in the right mood to kick somebody; but I managed to control myself by deep breathing as I galloped along the mile of corridors and escalators to get from the duty-free lounge to the actual boarding gate; with always seems to be at the backend of nowhere.

Then, of course, we have to walk down stairs to ground level in order to climb up the steps into the actual plane.

Oh the delights of air travel in the modern world. Still look on the bright side, at least I didn’t have to take my dental plate out this time.

I tell you, it is a good thing we can laugh, isn't it?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Please Note: All previous posts have been archived, but you can see them by clicking the Archives buttons.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?